Non-resident Indians who harass their spouses could be deported or their passports will be expropriated or cancelled. Ministry of external affairs (MEA) constituted a nine-member committee headed by Arvind Kumar Goel, following the numerous complaints filed by women deserted by their NRI husbands. Here are the key recommendations of the Goel Committee
- Create a provision to impound or cancel passport of the NRI Husband
- Registration of NRI marriages mandatory
- Marriage certificate should include details like Social Security Number (SSN), address of workplace and residence of the NRI spouse
- Make domestic violence under the ambit of extradition treaty
- Increase financial assistance from $3000 to $6000 to abandoned wives
- Create a mechanism involving Ministry of external affairs, Ministry of Home Affairs and National Commission for Woman to deal with desertion by NRI Husbands
Officials in the women and child development ministry reportedly said that the Union government will give a go ahead to the recommendations.