With the conclusion of first half of 2017 on June 30, we have brought you the detailed box office report of Telugu films released during these six months.
70 straight Telugu films have released this year with an average of less than 3 films per week. The number has come down this year as 85 films were released last year during the first six months. The success rate however has increased as the count of successful films (9) remained same.
All Time BLOCKBUSTER
Highly anticipated sequel of Baahubali, “Baahubali : The Conclusion” has collected a worldwide distributor share of Rs 310 Cr, which is a record by miles. The film surpassing it’s predecessor’s worldwide collections (186 Cr) in Telugu states alone speaks volumes about this humongous success.
The film went on to create All Time records in Hindi and Tamil film industries besides Tollywood.
1. Khaidi No.150 – This film marks the comeback of Megastar Chiranjeevi after a long gap of 9 years. It has opened to huge numbers with an All Time Record Day One and went on to become a Blockbuster by the end of it’s run.
With a worldwide distributor share of Rs 102 Cr, Khaidi No.150 became the second film after “Baahubali” to collect over Rs 100 Cr share.
2. Sathamanam Bhavati – The film was an underdog at its time of release since it clashed with two big films – Khaidi N0.150 and Gautamiputra Satakarni. Despite the relatively limited release, the family entertainer has taken a good opening and went on to dominate the two rival biggies from 3rd week.
Worldwide Distributor Share of this Dil Raju production venture is – 33.60 Cr, almost 3 times return on investment.
Super Hit :
Nenu Local – The film has ended up as second career best grosser for Nani. [Worldwide distributor share : 32.65 Cr]
1. Rarandoi Veduka Chudham – The film has strengthened Naga Chaitanya’s image as the best suitable hero for romantic and family entertainers. It has also become his first solo film to collect over 25 Cr Share. [Distributor share of the film is 25.40 Cr worldwide]
2. Guru – It was the first hit among the summer releases with a worldwide distributor share of 18.60 Cr. Venkatesh has scored a hit after 3 long years.
3. The Ghazi Attack – The success of the film is one of it’s kind as it has won both critical acclaim and commercial glory. [Worldwide Distributor share is 11.50 Cr]
Above Average :
1. Gautamiputra Satakarni – It is the 100th film of senior hero Nandamuri Balakrishna. After a good first week, the film has slowed down due to the domination of Shatamanam Bhavati in A centres and Khaidi No.150 in B,C centres. The film has incurred minor losses to some buyers and ended up with worldwide distributor share of Rs 49.70 Cr
2. Kittu Unnadu Jagratha – This film was benefited from the vacuum of movies in theatres for first three weeks in March until the release of Katamarayudu. It has collected a distributor share of 6 crore and incurred minor losses to some buyers.
Ami Thumi – Shoestring budget of the film and the decent run in A centres helped it attain average status at box office.
Duvvada Jagannadham – After an excellent extended opening weekend, the film has dropped suddenly. This Bunny starrer is expected to end up as a loss venture for each and every buyer involved. With over 66 Cr share worldwide in 10 days, DJ is expected to collect around 69 Cr in its full run. The film’s theatrical rights were sold for around Rs 80 crore.
P.S – Bunny has good market in Kerala and the Malayalam version is slated to hit screens on July 14.
Katamarayudu – Expectations were high on this Pawan Kalyan starrer as it was the first biggie of summer. The film however has ended up as a flop by raking in a worldwide distributor share of just Rs 62.15 Cr.
1. Om Namo Venkatesaya – This Nagarjuna Akkineni starerr is one of the biggest disasters ever in not just the actor’s career but in the history of Tollywood. The film’s buyers lost over 60% of their investment. [Worldwide distributor share – 10.1 Cr]
2. Winner – Sai Dharam Tej’s utter routine commercial entertainer opened strongly on Day One but collections nosedived on day Two itself. And, the film ended up as a disaster
3. Mister – This Srinu Vytla directorial starring Varun Tej in lead role had a decent opening, and it was declared a washout on Day Two itself. The film was produced by the same makers who bankrolled Winner.
4. Rogue – The very-prolific Puri has churned out this disaster. The film had very less expectations and it failed to impress even the director’s fans.
As many as 38 films were dubbed into Telugu from other languages including English. Of the total, only 2 films succeeded as box office. Aadhi’s horror comedy Marakathamani and Hollywood action film “Fast & Furious 8” are the only two profitable films.
While Lawrence’s “Sivalinga” collected average revenue, Suriya’s highly anticipated “Yamudu 3” ended up as a disaster.